I went out for a walk to the local arboretum on the 4th of July with my Olympus OM101 loaded with Rollei Superpan film. There were a couple of lenses I wanted to try out that had given me blank frames on a previous roll of film, I decided that it was probably the cheap AAA batteries that I had used so I bought some good quality Lithium cells, they worked fine. I used Red and R72 filters for the shots as Superpan has some infrared sensitivity.
It was a really hot bright day, hardly a cloud in the sky, would have been good to have had some clouds (never satisfied) When I arrived back at home I thought I would get the film into the developing tank ready for processing, letting it air dry overnight. That’s when the trouble started. Rollei Superpan is coated onto a thin base compared to most other films and I couldn’t get it to load onto the spiral, keep calm I kept saying to myself, the inside of the film changing bag was getting very humid, much like a Turkish bath which made things worse, eventually It went onto the spiral but I knew I had damaged the film.
Well this is what most of the frames looked like.
Straight out of scanner.
I cleaned up some of the frames the best I could in Lightroom which is very good for getting rid of a few spots and blemishes. But because Lightroom allows you to amend or delete any of the corrections you have made with this amount it starts to use up stacks of memory and eventually almost stops, OK for the odd blemish on a digital sensor but not good for this much cleaning up.
The Path To The Arboretum
Fortunately I’m not easily discouraged and realising that the reels must be 20+ years old I ordered a new developing tank which arrived in less than 24hrs along with a couple more rolls of Rollei Superpan.