Well I have 4 cameras loaded with film, 2 of which are nearly complete and 2 just started, the weather has been a bit changeable so I haven’t been out photo walking recently, and I’m busy trying to tidy the house. So I thought I’d post a few images from August taken on a walk around the local arboretum, church and town. I was using my newly CLA’d Olympus OM2sp and experimenting with Rollei Superpan 200.
Had my Olympus OM2sp serviced at Luton Camera Repair last month as the film wind on was misbehaving. They did a great job with it, replacing all the foam light seals, checking the electronics, and re tensioning the shutter. The camera felt really good so I took with me on a walk to the local arboretum. It was a really hot humid day, but there were some nice clouds about.
Path To The Arboretum
Most of the images were taken using 24mm Zuiko, and 50mm Zuiko lenses, using a Red or R72 Infrared filter
Trees & Clouds
Through The leaves
The film has given the Fir a bit of a surreal look.
I’ll post some more shots from this roll over the next few days.
I went out for a walk to the local arboretum on the 4th of July with my Olympus OM101 loaded with Rollei Superpan film. There were a couple of lenses I wanted to try out that had given me blank frames on a previous roll of film, I decided that it was probably the cheap AAA batteries that I had used so I bought some good quality Lithium cells, they worked fine. I used Red and R72 filters for the shots as Superpan has some infrared sensitivity.
It was a really hot bright day, hardly a cloud in the sky, would have been good to have had some clouds (never satisfied) When I arrived back at home I thought I would get the film into the developing tank ready for processing, letting it air dry overnight. That’s when the trouble started. Rollei Superpan is coated onto a thin base compared to most other films and I couldn’t get it to load onto the spiral, keep calm I kept saying to myself, the inside of the film changing bag was getting very humid, much like a Turkish bath which made things worse, eventually It went onto the spiral but I knew I had damaged the film.
Well this is what most of the frames looked like.
Straight out of scanner.
I cleaned up some of the frames the best I could in Lightroom which is very good for getting rid of a few spots and blemishes. But because Lightroom allows you to amend or delete any of the corrections you have made with this amount it starts to use up stacks of memory and eventually almost stops, OK for the odd blemish on a digital sensor but not good for this much cleaning up.
The Path To The Arboretum
Fortunately I’m not easily discouraged and realising that the reels must be 20+ years old I ordered a new developing tank which arrived in less than 24hrs along with a couple more rolls of Rollei Superpan.
Here are a few shots on film from my visit to theBotanic Gardensa couple of weeks ago. I took the Olympus OM1n together with 50mm and 24mm Zuiko lenses. The film was Rollei Superpan 200, first time I’ve used this emulsion, apparently it can have a near infrared look when the lighting permits (sunshine) so ever the optimist I used Red and Green filters on the lenses to see what they would give, of course the day was fairly dull ! I developed the film in Rodinal which due to it’s age has now acquired the colour of a mature burgundy wine, but it worked really well.
Main House (very grand)
50mm and Green filter
Take a Seat
Definitely a touch of the infrared, 50mm and Green filter
Got that infrared glow, 24mm with Red filter
50mm and Green Filter
24mm and Red filter
24mm Red filter
Looking forward to better weather so I can use some more of this film.