Tag Archives: Summer

Reel Trouble #2

29-07-18

Managed to tidy up a few more images from the walk to the Arboretum on the 4th July. They are still a bit scratchy in places but it’s the best I could do without testing my patience to the limit.

Growth Rings
Image14 copy-Edit

Pagan
Image17 copy-Edit

Healthy
Image21 copy
Used the almost opaque R72 filter for this one.

Cross
Image23 copy

Standing Stones
Image25 copy-Edit

Creeper
Image29 copy-Edit

Sharp
Image31 copy-Edit

Bark
Image36 copy-Edit

Even though this film is difficult handle (for me) when processing I really like the images it gives. I have some more shots to post from the bike ride last week.

Too Hot For A Fur Coat

23-07-18

30 deg C today, the cats are not enjoying it, not really the weather for a fur coat.

_7231252-Edit
Mimi eating some grass, she’s moulting like mad, and I’m having to brush her everyday, she’s not too sure if she likes being brushed.

_7231259-Edit
Fleur, Mimi’s mum trying to keep cool, her coat is finer and not so thick as her daughters.

_7231265-Edit
Now the Bee’s on my Lavender don’t seem to mind having a fur coat.

Midnight Visitor
SDIM0712 B&W
He comes in almost everyday now for breakfast and late night supper. Such a lovely gentle cat, and he chatters away while he’s waiting for his meal.

Reel Trouble #1

15-07-18

I went out for a walk to the local arboretum on the 4th of July with my Olympus OM101 loaded with Rollei Superpan film. There were a couple of lenses I wanted to try out that had given me blank frames on a previous roll of film, I decided that it was probably the cheap AAA batteries that I had used so I bought some good quality Lithium cells, they worked fine. I used Red and R72 filters for the shots as Superpan has some infrared sensitivity. 

It was a really hot bright day, hardly a cloud in the sky, would have been good to have had some clouds (never satisfied) When I arrived back at home I thought I would get the film into the developing tank ready for processing, letting it air dry overnight. That’s when the trouble started. Rollei Superpan is coated onto a thin base compared to most other films and I couldn’t get it to load onto the spiral, keep calm I kept saying to myself, the inside of the film changing bag was getting very humid, much like a Turkish bath which made things worse, eventually It went onto the spiral but I knew I had damaged the film.

Well this is what most of the frames looked like. 
Image04 copy
Straight out of scanner.

I cleaned up some of the frames the best I could in Lightroom which is very good for getting rid of a few  spots and blemishes. But because Lightroom allows you to amend or delete any of the corrections you have made with this amount it starts to use up stacks of memory and eventually almost stops, OK for the odd blemish on a digital sensor but not good for this much cleaning up.

The Path To The Arboretum 
Image02 copy-Edit-Edit

Dangling
Image06 copy-Edit

Picnic
Image09 copy-Edit

Infrared Pathway
Image10 copy

Fallen
Image11 copy

Fortunately I’m not easily discouraged and realising that the reels must be 20+ years old I ordered a new developing tank which arrived in less than 24hrs along with a couple more rolls of Rollei Superpan.